Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Electrolytes for Good Health


If others are like me they know nothing about electrolytes, so how did I learn about them? In my last blog I wrote about my experience with low potassium and mentioned that my equilibrium is still off. Well this past Sunday I was feeling so good and full of energy I decided to get the leaf blower and clear off some of the leaves in the driveway. I didn't think this would take a lot of energy, but come Monday I had no energy, and did nothing the whole day.

Photo credit
Still not feeling up to par Tuesday I made a call again to my health care professional who spouted out " Your electrolytes are low!" He quickly informed me that electrolytes are our bodies energy. Wow, I thought I'm just a mess, and all I do to stay healthy!!! However it is important to note that anytime we put out energy we are depleting our electrolytes. It turns out that this is also what is contained in sports drinks.

My health care professional stated that there are 12 electrolytes our bodies need, and that a product called Vitamineral Green put out by a company called Health Force  is the only natural source for all 12. Vitamineral Green is jammed packed with natural ingredients and detoxifiers, it comes in a powder form (which I prefer.) It is gluetin free, 100% vegan, raw, and yeast free, this is a food not a supplement. My health care pro told me he has given people free samples, and they come back saying they have never had so much energy. I will be making a purchase next week, but until than I am drinking hibiscus tea which is also high in electrolytes.



As I researched electrolytes I found most sites only listed As I about 7-8 while one listed only 4-5. No matter what all the research I did shows that electrolytes are very important to our bodies everyone should be replenishing them on a daily basis.

Why Do We Need Electrolytes? 

Electrolytes are minerals in your blood and other body fluids that carry an electric charge. They affect the amount of water in your body, and the acidity of your blood (pH) from medline plu. Electrolytes give the body the electrical charge that keeps the heart, muscles and nervous system working properly from health to heart.

Important note: PH levels need to be stable or nothing will help. I was able to take a PH test at the local health store, and I'm good to go, yeah something is right.

Photo credit


How Do We Get Electrolytes? 

Normally we would be able to get electrolytes from our food and drinks, but once again due to the manipulation of our food, water, and other drinks we are not getting the amount of electrolytes our bodies need to function. So, using one of the products mentioned above is crucial at this point and time of our society. Examples of some electrolytes are sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus.

Who Needs to Get More Electrolytes?

In this day and age, all of us!!!! However I can be more specific as far as this goes so here it goes. Various medications alter the electrolyte levels in the body such as diuretics, antihistamines, vasoconstrictors, beta blockers, tricyclic antidepressants, and phenothiazines (tranquilizers.) Also those who suffer from the following are more at risk to loss of electrolytes. Those who suffer from stress related disorders, heat related illness, sweat excessively or  not enough, high or low blood pressure, consume medications which effect blood pressure, poor eating/drinking habits, susceptible to infections/colds, exercise regularly, have an existing illness/disease.

How Do We Loss Electrolytes?

As  mentioned above one way is through various medications, but it is amazing to know that we also lose them through basic every day tasks such as walking, gardening, driving, playing, mowing, or running. So, as you can see just doing every day normal activities cause us to lose electrolytes. Electrolytes are also lost through sweating, urination, or diarrhea

What Will Not Help Replenish Electrolytes?

I had read about some individuals who were tested for their electrolyte levels, and where told they were low in either sodium, potassium, or both. Sadly for these individuals they were not getting better why? Because they were told to increase fluids, and salts, this is not a fix when we are dealing with many electrolytes.  I was reading how one individual's heart actually stopped beating for a time and her vision became blurry. Another individual stated that while she was increasing her fluid intake as told, and feeling better the lack of energy was still present.  

 Hopefully now I can back to my regular exercise schedule which has suffered greatly due to this, but I will be making a change, drink hibiscus tea both before, during, and after working out. As I prayed today asking God to guide me to a solution for this issue, and give me knowledge, He gave me a revelation, I have gained knowledge, and hopefully others will learn from me. While this may be a hard way to go about learning, I am still thankful for what I have learned.

I will be updating in the future on how the hibiscus tea has worked (this is my first day) and also how the Vitamineral Green works which I am purchasing next week.

If you are taking meds be sure to talk with your health care provider before starting hibiscus tea or Vitamineral Green. I am not any type of health care professional, I am sharing from personal experience only. Woman who are pregnant or nursing should avoid hibiscus. Woman trying to get pregnant or have issues conceiving should also avoid hibiscus.

Have you had a similar experience or can you relate to this blog? If so please leave a comment, thank you.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment